Sunday, April 15, 2007

Shadow Stripes

These are three drawings/paintings that I created from a picture I took while hiking Old Rag (a mountain in Shenandoah National Park) last Spring. I love forests and especially like the way the shadows from these tree trunks lay across the mountain path.

This first image is a 5 1/2" x 8 1/4" drawing on brown paper with oil pastel. I did these first two drawings as studies for the larger painting but ended up liking the studies more than the final piece. This drawing is my favorite of the three.

The second study is 8 1/2" x 11" oil pastel on gessoed paper. I like the electric colors but never quite finished the piece.

The third painting is supposedly the final product. It's much better in person because of the size (2 ft x 4 ft). It's oil paint and oil pastel on masonite board. If you're staring at it in person and using a bit of imagination you feel like you're on the forest path.

2 comments:

Joy said...

I really like the third painting.

mightybob said...

me, too! 'sup, courtney?