Saturday, March 3, 2007

self-portraits



These blue and pink paintings are abstracted self-portraits that I painted using a similar technique to blind contour drawing (except I allowed myself to pick up the pen). So basically, I looked in a mirror and drew myself without looking at what I was drawing (except glances to see if my pen was in the correct general area). This technique forces me to loosen up and just draw, without being pre-occupied about making the drawing accurate. It feels kind of liberating and I really like how they turned out. I especially like the blue one because I think it actually resembles me.


These three paintings were done from photographs I found of me and my sister when we were kids, playing with masks, hats and wigs in our front yard. I'm the little vampire.

This drawing was done for a college art class when my professor asked us to draw topographical lines on the self-portrait. I think it looks like I'm made of wood.

2 comments:

beanjah said...

speaking of humans that look like wood, check steve kinney out:

http://www.stevenkenny.com/rufflarg.htm

http://www.stevenkenny.com/coopers%20wife.htm

Amanda said...

Courtney, you are my favorite vampire! Love your blogspot!